You are here

TestGen for macOS 10.15 Catalina

We are busy verifying the new 64-bit TestGen Mac version functionality with the new 64-bit app only macOS Catalina (version 10.15) that Apple recently released on October 7th.

TestGen Mac users will want to wait until the new 64-bit TestGen is available from their publisher before they upgrade to macOS Catalina (version 10.15), as the current release of TestGen is a 32-bit app and is not compatible with it. The new 64-bit TestGen for macOS will be available before the end of October 2019.

TestGen Forums: 

Didn't you guys know that a 64 bit OS system was on its way?

Yes. Development of the 64 bit TestGen was planned 1.5 years ago and has been completed. We are currently confirming correct functionality with the actual release of 10.15. We would like to bring the new version out as soon as possible but we would also like to limit the possibility of issues.

Unfortunately for us this sets us back in terms of using this software effectively in our classes.

hey, Is there are a way we can be notified when it's ready? Thanks for updating the software.

We'll be posting a notice on the website when TestGen 7.7 is released.

Mark

Do you have an estimated date that it will be available?

Thanks, Mark. Any timeframe yet?

Oh, yesterday :) Can you prod Pearson to update their download page? Just a bit excited here.

Any update on when it will be released? Also if I updated my computer will I be able to either download or update TestGen?

We're still targeting the end of the month for releasing 7.7. If you've updated your computer to 10.15, you won't be able to run TestGen 7.6.5.

Mark

Hi,
I just updated my Mac to Catalina OS and I did not know TestGen will not run on it. I have to give a test in a week and half. Do you think you will release the new version of your software by the beginning of November? Also where I can download it?

Any update on the new Testgen? Not being able to have Testgen on my updated Mac caused me to go to work on weekends! It is end of the month! Please update us! Thanks!

Apple initially announced the plan to move away from 32bit applications back in 2009. This has given developers 10 years to prepare for this transition. Furthermore, the definitive timeframe was given 3 years ago which should have been plenty of time. This application is quite literally the only application on my computer that is still incompatible which includes open source software (not even getting paid for it). There is no excuse for this delay, and just one more reason for faculty and teachers to move to a more reliable platform. I, for one, have already begun.

What have you started to move to that's more reliable? Preferably something that uses the file format of this application or do you have a good way to convert it to the new application?

I also agree, they had a TEN YEAR heads up and even if you weren't aware of general technology trends for over ten years Apple again made it clear THREE YEARS AGO that this was coming. Long enough to build some form of product timetable for transition. I cannot believe its take 3-10 years to prepare this new application and this developer is now acting like Apple dropped this new update on them as a surprise of sorts with not being ready. Honestly, it's embarrassing as they've said "end of October" and we are literally at the end of October and there's no update.

A touch harsh, Travis. TestGen has worked seamless for me for lots of years. Their test format interchanges between Mac and pc really well. I'm totally happy with the software and ease of use. Sure, it would have been nice to not have to use a different machine for the test bank. But, two/three weeks isn't a game changer for me. I look forward to many more years of testgen use. Ok, I retire in 7 years so I look forward to 7 more years ... :) Have a great day.

10 years to develop in an approved way is more than enough. Especially, when 64 bit programming is the accepted approach for 8 of those 10 years. So yeah two/three weeks are a game changer, for an ex software developer that now teaches. Now that we are a week into November and no help from irresponsible developer (Tamarack), I am working on my own solution to parse the testbank files. When I am successful, I will release it to anyone that cares. I will make it opensource, and I will offer it publishers free of cost!!!, How's that for harsh?

Sorry to bother you, but is the new version for Catalina already available?

TestGen 7.7 for macOS was released on October 31. It should be available for download from your textbook publisher's website.

Mark

All forum messages express the views of the author, and Tamarack Software will not be held responsible for the content of any message. By participating in the Forum, you agree to abide by the Terms of Use and not to:

(a) post any messages that are threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented or otherwise unlawful; (b) post messages totally unrelated to TestGen Software; (c) advertise unauthorized products and services; and (d) send Spam.