You are here

TestGen 7.45 won't start

I just installed 7.45 and when I double-click the icon nothing happens. I see in Task Manager Processes that TestGen.exe *32 is running, but it's not in the applications and there is no sign of the program operating. I installed it on both a hard drive and a USB dirve. Neither work. However, the USB drive version works on two different computers. The computer in question runs Win 7 as does one of the other computers. I've uninstalled and re-installed with no change. Ideas?

Thanks.

TestGen Forums: 

It sounds like you installed TestGen fine, but "something" on your machine is interfering with TestGen.

Did you try restarting yet? After you restart, launch TestGen before any other applications.

If you still have issues, try booting your machine into safe mode and then running TestGen before any other applications. (This will tell us if something is interfering.) Here's how to boot Win 7 into safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-...

Let me know how these tests go, and we'll proceed from there.

Jeff

I am having exactly the same difficulty. Was there any resolution?

Thanks

The original poster never replied, so there hasn't been any progress. Did you by chance try the steps outlined above? If so, what happened?

Jeff

I did as was suggested with no success. I used another computer with no problem. After several weeks I tried on the previous computer with no problem. So, I was never able to find out what the problem was.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad the problem was resolved, but concerned that it just magically disappeared. If you run into the issue again, let us know and I can send you a tool to check your system for possible TestGen conflicts.

Jeff

I'm now having the same issue as the above posters, on 2 separate computers. Trying in Safe Mode hasn't done anything. Any further light been shed on the issue?

Hi Dani,

We still do not know exactly what is causing it. A couple questions:

(1) Is this a Win7 / TestGen 7.4.5 setup on both computers?

(2) Was this a "fresh" install of 7.4.5 on the machines, or did you upgrade from a previous version? If so, do you recall what version of TestGen was previously installed?

If you are interested, I can help you directly resolve the issue via a phone call. If we are successful I can post the results here. To proceed, please send us a message and set the "category" as "Support Request". We will then arrange a time to work on the problem with you.

Jeff

Same problem for me, fresh install on 32-bit Windows 7. Program will (usually) start if I've just restarted the computer but won't open if other programs have been running.

This sounds more and more like an application to application messaging issue that use to be rare, but evidently is more of an issue in Win 7. We patched a version of TestGen to fix this issue (v7.4.5x); however, the publishers are only giving this version out to instructors upon request.

Some options:

(1) Avoid the issue.
The problem appears to manifest with other programs running when TestGen is launched. You can try restarting the computer, quitting all programs that may have auto-started, then run TestGen.

(2) Get a copy of TestGen 7.4.5x from your publisher.
Contact your publisher's support staff. Explain that TestGen doesn't run and you have been told that TestGen 7.4.5x may solve the problem. Install TestGen 7.4.5x over TestGen 7.4.5, restart you computer, launch TestGen.

(3) Get help/7.4.5x from Tamarack
If it appears you suffer from this 7.4.5/Win7 startup issue, and are a registered instructor/TestGen user we can help you directly. To proceed, please send us a message and set the "category" as "Support Request". We will then arrange a time to work on the problem with you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You replied to one of the above posters that you can send a tool to check to see whether Testgen was conflicting with other programs on the computer. Could you send that tool to me? I have Testgen installed on a laptop (Windows XP) and a desktop (Windows 7). Both have the same problem as described by other posters. The interesting thing thing to note is that Testgen was installed on my laptop about 2-3 years ago. It was working as it should since that initial install. Only recently when I double clicked on the desktop icon o my laptop did I run into the described issue. The only thing I could think of as the cause was that updates to Windows XP or newer installed programs were now causing conflicts with the Testgen software.

Link

Hello Link,

Sorry about the problems. Let's see if we can resolve them. Quick question:

Are you running TestGen 7.4.5x? If not, what version are you running?

Here's something you can try that has worked for others:

1. Quit the TestGen process from the task manager.
  2. On the "Start" menu, click the "Programs->TestGen" folder, then right-click the "TestGen" application icon.
  3. Choose "Run as Administrator".

Note: on XP you choose "Run As..." and need to pick an admin user.

Let me know if that worked or not.

Jeff

Just a quick note to let you know that I was having the exact same problem in win7 64 bit enterprise (work laptop) and ultimate (home desktop). The problem has been seemingly fixed by starting in safe mode (restart and then repeatedly press F8 before Windows splash screen appears. In safe mode I was able to start the program, install the testbanks and view my old quizzes. When I restarted normally, miraculously TextGen works just fine without having to run as administrator (which did not work for me anyway). Not sure why running the program first in Safe Mode would fix this non-starting issue for TestGen. I am running TestGen version 7.4.5.

Cheers!

Neil

I installed TestGen on my windows10 2-in-1 but all I get when I launch is a blank white screen.

Four questions:

(1) Are you installing the TestGen application or the "TestGen Browser Plugin"?

(2) What version of TestGen are you installing?

(3) What is the make/model of your 2-in-1? (EG: Microsoft Surface Book Pro, HP Spectre x360, etc)

(4) How are you installing the application? (EG: CD-ROM, Download, other)

Jeff

I am getting the same error. TestGen app, surface 3, download.

Hello Shane,

What version of the TestGen application are you installing? (EG: v7.6.4)

When you launch TestGen, do you see the TestGen splash screen and then get the white screen, or do you get the white screen immediately? Any error messages?

Jeff

Blank screen just started yesterday. Used program fine in the last few weeks.

Same problem here with windows 10. All I get was a screen with menu but the Testbank did not show up.
When I tried to add the testbank it said the testbank is already in the library.
All the plugins are installed and I even download the latest version from the website.

I have the same issue and I have downloaded the most recent version. But it seems to not be working on Windows 10. Any suggestions.

Is it possible you have used a second monitor or a projector recently with the computer? TestGen appears to be running, but it is most likely drawing on the second monitor/projector. TestGen saves the last position of the screen in preferences. So if you temporarily use TestGen on a second monitor, projector, or similar, it will no longer appear on the main monitor. To resolve this you have 2 choices:

(A) Plug in second monitor, start TestGen, and see if it appears on second monitor. You can drag it back to the first monitor so you won't have this problem going forward.

(B) Delete the TestGen Preferences so TestGen will display on the first monitor. Process is as follows:

1. Quit TestGen

2. Go to "C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming". If you don't see the "AppData" folder, you need to activate "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in the Folder Options control panel.

3. You should see a "TestGen" folder in the "Roaming" folder. This contains the preferences for TestGen. Delete it.

4. Start TestGen. It will rebuild the preferences and set the window position to your main monitor upper left corner.

Jeff

Thanks for this answer! It just worked for me!

All forum messages express the views of the author, and Tamarack Software will not be held responsible for the content of any message. By participating in the Forum, you agree to abide by the Terms of Use and not to:

(a) post any messages that are threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented or otherwise unlawful; (b) post messages totally unrelated to TestGen Software; (c) advertise unauthorized products and services; and (d) send Spam.